The Biodiversity Information System for Europe (BISE) is a single entry point for data and information on biodiversity in the EU. Bringing together facts and figures on biodiversity and ecosystem services, it links to related policies, environmental data centres, assessments and research findings from various sources. It is being developed to strengthen the knowledge base and support decision-making on biodiversity.
BISE as a partnership
BISE is a partnership between the European Commission (DG Environment, Joint Research Centre and Eurostat) and the European Environment Agency. It incorporates the network of the European Clearing House Mechanism within the context of the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD).
BISE as a portal
BISE is a collaborative IT tool that builds on existing operating systems at the EU and global levels, based on the European Toolkit EC-CHM.
BISE organises information at the European level under five entry points:
• Policy: policy, legislation and supporting activities related to EU directives, the EU Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP), pan- European and global policies
• Topics: state of species, habitats, ecosystems, genetic diversity, threats to biodiversity, impacts of biodiversity loss, evaluation of policy responses
• Data: data sources, statistics and maps related to land, water, soil, air, marine, agriculture, forestry, fisheries, tourism, energy, land use, transport
• Research: important EU-wide research projects related to biodiversity and ecosystem services, improving the science-policy interface
• Countries and networks: national biodiversity reporting activities and information sharing by networks across national borders
BISE as a process
The prototype BISE showcases the best available information at European level in 2010, for example the findings of the EEA Biodiversity Baseline Report and the SEBI Indicator Assessments. Its content and services will be developed in collaboration with key users and information providers so that it meets the information needs of the post-2010 biodiversity vision and targets for the EU.
Download the BISE flyer