The UN declared 2010 the International Year of Biodiversity (IYB). Throughout the year countless initiatives will be organized to disseminate information, promote the protection of biodiversity and encourage organizations, institutions, companies and individuals to take direct action to reduce the constant loss of biological diversity worldwide. The celebrations for the International Year of Biodiversity are led by the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). Countdown 2010 is a partner of the CBD for the IYB.
In only a few years of activity, Countdown 2010 has been able to mobilize an increasing number of actors ranging from local authorities and businesses to civil society organizations. With a powerful network of nearly 1,000 partners, Countdown 2010 is one of the leading initiatives mobilizing action for the 2010 Target. Through its wide and well-established network, Countdown 2010 will be a key global actor for IYB in Europe and around the world. Countdown 2010 and its partners will provide one of the main information channels and will be a major vehicle for reaching target groups worldwide.
Objectives of IYB
- Raise awareness of the importance of conserving biodiversity for human well-being and promote understanding of the economic value of biodiversity
- Enhance public knowledge of the threats to biodiversity and means to conserve it
- Encourage organizations (and through them individuals) to take direct or indirect biodiversity conservation activities
- Celebrate the achievements of Countdown 2010 partners and other stakeholders
- Reporting on the possible failures for not achieving the Target
- Prepare the ground for communicating the post-2010 target(s)
Find out more what you can do to celebrate the IYB!
You can find more information on the International Year of Biodiversity on the following websites: